Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Something Always Brings Me Back To You

This is one of the most moving dances I have ever seen. It was first danced a couple years ago on So You Think You Can Dance and I still go back to watch it. The dance was choreographed to depict an addiction through dance. The male dancer plays an addiction that has a hold on the female dancer. I think it's so powerful because of the commitment both dancers have for the piece. There is a power that Kupono has over Kayla and despite her attempts to be strong, she is still weak to him.
In an interview done before the performance Kupono is brought to tears when he explains how hard it is to be that character for even one second because he has experienced addiction in his family. I think that anyone can relate to the overwhelming feeling of needing something so bad despite your knowledge that it is not good for you. It's scary to have something affect you so powerfully.
Dance allows us to express emotions and tell stories with a greater impact than any other art, in my opinion. There is something about movement that everyone can relate to and recognize the second one sees it. I feel as though, even though this song is extremely moving, even on mute, the message of this piece is obvious. Choreography is such a skill that not everyone possess. Even as a dancer, I can only express myself so much. But with a great choreographer, anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment